Getting to School



Occasionally, it is necessary to enlist parental assistance with transport of children to sports fixtures, local visits etc. This has two implications:

  1. For the driver: if you volunteer your services to drive pupils in your car you must check with your Insurance Company that you are adequately insured for this purpose.
  2. For the pupils: Parents who are not prepared for their children to be transported in other parents’ cars must inform the school.


Many of our children live outside the town and are therefore required to travel to school by County or Public Transport. Any requests need to be made directly to: Passenger Transport Manager, County Hall, Dorchester.


From Year 6 onwards, pupils are allowed to cycle to school, but only when they have met the requirements of the school’s cycle permit. The permit is issued by Mr Fitzgerald, Site Manager, after he is satisfied that all conditions, including successful completion of the Cycling Proficiency Course, have been met. Cycling Proficiency Courses are organised at the School by Mr A Boyce.



Under the Education Act of 1993,the school is obliged to compile and publish accurate rates of absenteeism each year.

We ask that parents provide a written note or make a telephone call to the office, on the first day of their childs absence from school. Absences for illness, medical treatment and some other approved circumstances can be recorded as authorised absences. All other, absences – even if there is a parental note – have to be recorded as unauthorised. We ask for parental support in this important issue of regular school attendance. Please see new absence policy in the school office.


First Aid and Medication

Parents are asked to make the school aware of any medical condition affecting their children and this information is retained in each child’s confidential file. When children are ill at school, the office staff will contact parents identified on the emergency number. Minor accidents will be dealt with by our trained First Aiders at school but for all accidents of a more serious nature parents or guardians will be contacted and/or medical assistance sought.

If your child needs to bring medication of any kind to school, we ask that you complete a consent form (available from the office or click here Medical Consent Form. Medication should be named and left with the office staff and should not be kept by the child. An asthma inhaler (named) may be carried by arrangement with the office. We recommend that asthma sufferers leave an extra inhaler in the office in case of an emergency. Children who have Epipens for allergies should follow the procedure as given by their health advisors.